Friday, April 29, 2011

Naturmuseum Senckenberg

On our second weekend here we went to theSenckenberg Museum of Natural History. It's one of the largest natural history museums in Europe with 6,000 sq. meters and more than 5,000 exhibits. I'm pretty sure we only saw a fraction of that. With only one day to explore each week with James we end up cramming things in. But what we did see was amazing. Of course, everything was in german so we really don't have any idea WHAT we saw. Still cool though.



The outside. Remember I have this fascination with the buildings? Well, another example of why.



The detail is probably my favorite part. (on ALL buildings anywhere)




A dinosaur sculpture in a grassy spot across the way.



Such a fun face here. Squeals of excitement at the huge dinosaurs.




Mineral exampe. James took this. He's pretty good huh? (cute too)




I feel pretty confident saying this is the Mammoth display.




My favorite picture of the day...learning how a volcano works. In german. (well, it's really Fisher telling Piper how positive he is it works this way. I didn't hear the conversation so he may have been right.)




I never did figure out what this fossil is. I'm going with fairy though.




Pretty sure this one's a fish.




I love how grand it all is. Maybe I just need to get out more. I'm sure there are beautiful museums in Denver. Why is it I haven't been there? Putting it on my bucket list. Carly?? Want to go?




Fisher especially tends to blast through this kind of thing VERY quickly and today was no exception. James and I kept trying to get him to slow down and look. I guess just a glimpse is enough for him. (But I already SAW it!!) We were only there for a couple hours and only knew for sure what we were looking at a couple of times. It was (again) a really fun day.




Love,

JKFP

1 comment:

  1. There are free days at all the museums in Denver each month. I'll show you where to find the dates when you get back!

    ReplyDelete