Friday, November 16, 2012

Random Italia


Here are the last "random" Italy pictures that didn't really need individual posts.  I figured we better get them out of the way before we go international full time.  Oh and along those lines, I got our tickets to Frankfurt.  We leave from Charlotte on Dec. 14th.  We'll probably leave CO sometime on or around Dec. 5th.  Anyway...Italy.

This was my lovely little book reading spot for 3 days while
James worked.

THAT is what I would eat for breakfast.  Dessert for breakfast?
I think so.

The church of San Lorenzo.
The old part.

The new part.

Cars would drive through any spot they
could squeeze.  You had to have nerves
of steel.

Just a pretty courtyard.

San Lorenzo (the new part) again.

The entrance.

Pre-Christian ruins under the church.
These were from 200 B.C.  Market stalls.
You can see the little nooks where they would display their wares.

The well in the courtyard between the old
and new parts.

Marble in the museum from the ruins.

This part here almost merited it's own post.  This, my friends, is the mall.  Yes.  The mall.  I had to get another CF card for my camera or I'd have missed this gem.

Extreme mosaic tile.

No really, a MALL.

This was actually right across the way from the camera shop.

Amazing mosaic.  Mind blowing.

Details. Details. Details.

Arches and more detail.

One relatively small area by one door.
Details.
I love architectural detail.  I wonder what it used to be before it was a mall.  I should research that.


The castle by the port.

Again with the amazing detail.

As snobby as this sounds, this was not the most impressive castle
we've seen.  It was on the rundown side.

Still...

In this courtyard (which I skillfully snapped around) they
were setting up a stage and chairs for some big concert that night.

I can see this becoming another tattoo someday.  Or you
know, a window in my real house one day.

Massively tall.  With important church types
buried in the floor.  Fancy.


This one struck me.  Just beautiful.

One day, on my real house, the windows will have these.

Ruins and skeletons underneath the floor.

Wow.  Just wow.

This one too.  My real house master bedroom ceiling?
That'll work.

Enormous helmet.

ipod view by James' apartment.

Another one.

Our view walking to dinner the first night.



Travel lessons I learned here...

1) Taxi drivers are worth it.  These people drive like no one I've ever seen.  It's an experience in itself.  And taking the bus (or train for that matter) sucks when you are short enough to be "armpit height" when everyone is holding the bar across the top.  In the summer.  They don't have air conditioning on those things.  I was on the train to Herculaneum with about 800 of my closest friends ....armpit height. 

2)  To visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Mt. Vesuvius take an "official" English speaking tour.  We decided to just wing it and we missed a lot and didn't enjoy the benefit of the "fun facts" the tour guides give you.  Take the tour.  Really.

3)  Make sure you have plenty of time for those also.  We didn't have enough time at either dig site we visited and I want to go back someday for a more thorough trip.

4)  Ladies...always (ALWAYS) carry toilet paper in your bag.  Most of the public toilets I came across were a. filthy   b. hover toilets (no seats) and   c. they never have toilet paper. 

5)  Beware of theives but not to the point of never going anywhere or being afraid to take pictures.  James was always on high alert and never wanted me to take my camera anywhere.  The only time we had trouble with pick pockets was on the train (yes, the jam packed armpit one) and they tried to take his pocket knife.  I'm not saying they won't steal your camera - but it's easier for them to take a knife (or wallet) out of your pocket than a camera from around your neck.

6)  Pay for experiences not trinkets.  It was so much more memorable for us to have taken that trip to Capri than to have something to sit on the shelf.

7)  Have a really good time and always eat dessert!

K

1 comment: