I've lived in this neighborhood for 8 or 9 years now. It's
just on the edge of the ghetto. Our particular block is fairly safe (if you don't count all our stolen/vandalized/hit and run cars and what not) but go a little ways up the street and not so much. There's a park on the other end (the nice end) of our block and across a pretty busy street. I've always referred to this as "the junky park" and we didn't go there. We got in the car and
drove across town to nicer parks. And that's just fine. I felt good about it. But now, things may be changing. We went sledding at the "junky park" a couple weeks ago and I don't know if it's just that everything looks prettier in the snow or what but we decided to give it another shot. Well, the only shot really. It. Was. Awesome.
There is a basketball court and a playground plus tons of running around space. Johnny went with us and we had so much fun! The kids found an abandoned (and flat) basketball and spent an hour trying to get it in the hoop.
Then they gave that up for running and kicking it.
Johnny's thinking..."Man that's high."
Still trying.
So...everybody write this on your calendar. I WAS WRONG. The junky park is totally not junky.
They are Peekin' over at Happily Home Sewn and I'm linkin'.
My kids like junky better as a general rule.
ReplyDelete