Friday, May 27, 2011

Travel Lessons

In this first international trip (with the kids) I sure did learn a lot. We don't yet know when or where we are going next. (or when James will be coming home) There are some cool places in the works but nothing signed on any dotted line. I'll let you know as soon as we do though. In the meantime I thought I'd share a few random lessons with you all.

My children (and likely most children) are amazingly adaptable. I mean, who'd have thought they'd have fared so well in all this city life? I was worried honestly. We are not what you'd call "city people". But they love it like they love chocolate and mud. (but not mixed together) The public transportation, escalators, crosswalks, etc. They loved it all. Fisher especially understood how it all worked. He knew what stop we got off the train at, what to do at crosswalks, and how to maneuver the train stations. They even fought over who got to push the button to open the train doors. Every single time.



They loved every minute of it. And I feel like they are so much more cultured for it now. They played on sculptures and in fountains. And Fisher will tell you most of those fountains have naked ladies on them. They just enjoyed being kids in another place having new adventures. I wonder if I'd have fared as well when I was little?



Oh and you should know this...NOTHING makes being hit by a wave of water, after a crazy German driver hits a puddle, better than the reaction of a 5 year old. Nothing. We laughed so hard. For DAYS. And he very animatedly told the story to anyone who would listen (strangers and all) for at least a week. Laughing hysterically. Exciting times. It's kind of a random lesson. But should it ever happen to you, just think like a 5 year old. It'll make your whole day. Maybe even your whole week.


What I really learned though, is that I'm so much braver than I ever thought I was. (and this is just an observation - I'm not horn tooting here) I was TERRIFIED about 3 days in. Mind you, I was still a little messed up with my sleeping, but I was ready to pack up and go home. The whole "culture shock" thing is very real. I thought, I'll NEVER be able to master this train stuff and I sure didn't want to just sit in the room the whole month. But, I wouldn't have thought before that I could take the kids on a NYC subway for instance, but Frankfurt is a HUGE city like that. So maybe I can.




I did all sorts of stuff I would have said 6 months ago that I'd never do. Like, I ate Turkish food. I would have automatically said no to that before. But I ate it. And I loved it. (I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of it!!)


There's this weird thing that happens. You have this overwhelming fear that (rather magically) melts away and is replaced by courage. It's something you can physically SEE in the kids.




The courage replacing the fear. It's very freeing. I'm suddenly more open to new experiences that the very thought of terrified me before. (like say white water rafting) It's this strange and wonderful thing. The video below is a pretty good representation of it. It's Pipey releasing her fear and celebrating!



Here's hoping I wake up tomorrow with a few more laugh lines than I go to bed with. And you do too.


Love,

JKFP

No comments:

Post a Comment