Then there was this water fountain which the boys drank from. Again, I had Piper in the pouch and there's just no way to drink from this warthogs face and not 1) wake her or 2) drown her. So I stuck with my water bottle. (I know, "when in Rome" and all. Next time.)

We knew we had to be getting close. It's hard to see the castle anywhere from town as it's on top of the hill and you're walking your way up it. So none of my pictures show the whole thing. We would have had to go over to Rapunzel's tower for that and there just wasn't enough time. You'll see bits and pieces along with a little history lesson.

The first castle was built on this hill sometime around 900. I know! If I'm understanding this little (terribly translated) pamplet correctly, construction on the new castle began in 1122. Shortly after that, Marburg became a town.

Now, this little timeline I have says several things. I think. :) There were several fires, plagues, and sieges (complete with looting and pillaging) And then in 1527 the first Protestant University in the world is founded in Marburg. In. The. World.

The castle was turned into a fortress from 1756 - 1763. Then in 1815 it was a prison. Can you imagine? Being in prison. Here.
I guess some of the beauty and "coolness" of it would be lost if it was your prison. Maybe.
I think it's fairly common for a castle to also have a chapel. This chapel here was consecrated in 1288. (Everytime I write a year I kinda freak out a little.) This was quite a beautiful (and very pink) chapel.

I love these windows.
And the art on the walls.
The East Wing was set up as a museum in 1981. The University Museum of Cultural History.
The lower floor, or as I like to call it (not very originally), the dungeon. It has a very dungeon-y feel to it, no?
I'm not sure what it is I like about this picture. But, I love it. Maybe it's the blurry hint of just how fast Fisher goes through this sort of thing. It's like capturing the essence of the boy. Plus I'm sure they have stairs like that in Hogwarts. (Harry Potter for those of you not in the know)

One of the better angles I got of the exterior of the South Wing.

In looking around for more information (other than this crappy little handout) I found this http://www.marburg-net.de/images/schloss003.jpg image of the entire castle. You're welcome.
This was my first experience with a real true castle and I've pretty much decided castle livin' is for me. James better get to work. :)
Love,
JKFP










That is awesome! I love the peek across the world!
ReplyDeleteSo, to let your readers know you're on the Peek of the Week you can either stick my button in your post and say something about linking up to the peek of the week. To post the button scroll down the sidebar of my blog and copy all the html text in the box below the peek of the week button. Then paste it in your post wherever you want it to appear. When you paste it, it will just look like the html code, but when you publish it'll magically turn into a button.
OR - if it's easier, you could just say something like "I linked this post up on the Peek of the Week over on Happily Home Sewn's Blog." and just use a regular hyperlink to get people there.
Let me know how it goes and thanks so much for being my most faithful peek poster!