Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Herculaneum & Pompeii

I went to Pompeii and Herculaneum when I visited James in Italy.  (Herculaneum is a smaller town close by Pompeii that was also destroyed when Mt. Vesuvius erupted.)  It blew my mind.  I mean,  I'm walking around in a town that is literally older than Jesus.  Did you know that they had running water?  (and sewers!) Their system of water delivery was amazing.  There were  different tiers of "necessity" where the water was concerned.  When they were in times of drought the least important tier automatically stopped running the water and focused towards the more important ones.  B.C. people!  I don't want to bore you with too many "fun facts" so I'll just say this...I'm different now.  Different for being in that place, walking on those roads, touching those walls. 

Ready for photo overload?


Beautiful mosaic tile floor.


Zoom in on this one if you can.  Especially the art across the top.









One of the drinking fountains.  The most important tier.


If you can zoom in on this one you should.  In the process of restoring.








A beautiful ceiling.

The Temple of Isis

The Great Theater
Fun Fact: This is where Pink Floyd played.

Amazing detail just on a corner of a building. 
Almost an afterthought.

A wealthy home.


The Amphitheater

Inside

The start of the Necropolis

The Necropolis


A snake on a wall in a home.  It was amazing to me that so much
of the art survived.


 
This is Apollo.  I'm toying around with the idea of having another kid
 (or just getting another dog) so I can name someone Apollo.



Would you believe me if I told you I really did narrow these down?  I really did.  If I went into detail on every picture I'd basically be writing a guide book, but if you have specific questions on any of them let me know and I will try to answer.  It was a tremendous experience and I hope I can go back one day.    
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! That's a great picture of you & James

    ReplyDelete