Fisher and I started knitting a few months ago. Most knitters and crocheters know that you end up with lots of little bits and pieces of yarn all the time. Something about throwing it away just doesn't sit well with me. (It's only crime is being short.) So what to do with it all?
Yesterday I sat down with the kids to handle the situation.
Step one: Gather up all that yarn, scissors, a suet bird feeder, and tiny helpers.
Step two: Cut all the pieces to 5 - 8 inches or so.
Step three: Stuff all those little cut bits into a suet style (or block) bird feeder. I got mine for $1.97 at Lowe's.
Step four: Hang it in the yard.
This is for sure our newest springtime tradition. We'll be collecting yarn all through the year to share with our bird friends. The birds are supposed to collect the bits for their spring nests. We'll see if ours want the fluffy goodness. I hope so. It'll be really fun to find those colorful nests if they do.
Fingers crossed.
JKFP
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a neat idea!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it? It's not original. I had seen stringing yarn in the trees but it gets so windy here. I saw this (i forget where even) and knew this was the solution.
ReplyDeleteI love it! I so hope they use it!
ReplyDeletesuper tweet. get it?
ReplyDeleteClever idea to use up those bits and pieces! I bet it's one of the softest bird feeders around. I hope it's popular!
ReplyDelete