Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Big News

Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? Ever stood on the edge? Looked up, down, or straight across and just be amazed at what's in front of you? What about that feeling you get at the top of a roller coaster? When you can feel that switch from pulling up the big hill to freefall. Yes? I'm kinda there.

It seems we are hanging on the edge of something huge. An amazing adventure waiting to be had. What??? (Just tell us already.) James is in the process of taking a job with an international construction company. Huh? An INTERNATIONAL construction company. (He's still with Nunn for now. In Gunnison. He left right before we left for the road trip.) He's in the process now of getting his paperwork and passport, etc. lined up so that when they have a place for him ... INTERNATIONAL. And we get to go too. Depending on where and how long the job is for. We thought for a little while that we were headed for Germany in January. That was going to be for 4 months. But it turned out they didn't need him on that one. What's next? No one knows for sure. China for 4mos? Switzerland for 3? It's kind of exciting. And totally freaking me out - all at the same time. I have learned this about myself so far. I do okay with change. I do okay with staying the same. I do NOT, however, do well with limbo.

So here are some Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Q: Are you excited?

A: Um, yes. Very.

2. Q: Are you scared?

A: Um, yes. Very. But also really aware that this is something not everyone gets the chance to do. And not one you turn down lightly. Or accept lightly.

3. Q: What about school for Fisher?

A: Well, there are tons of options as far as that goes. There are International Schools, homeschooling (which I'd not ruled out even if we just stay here), or online school. He could technically follow a District 11 (one of our local districts) schedule and curriculum online from anywhere. Imagine learning about China IN CHINA!

4. Q: What about Bob?

A: Bob. This has actually been the hardest part of all for me. I hope he will visit one of you for a few months here and there. (I'm looking at you Bella and Papa!) But no, he would not go with us. I think that would be too much, logistically speaking. Imagine apartment hunting in a foreign country (or your company doing it for you) and insisting on bringing your dog. I just don't see it working out well.

5. Q: How long are you planning on doing this?

A: Definitely not forever. If we only look at this from a financial standpoint (and not the adventure side) even just two years would put us in an amazing place. We'd be totally debt free (if we sell the house too) AND have saving built up for when we decide to settle again. So if you look at it from the adventure side as well... it's a win win.

I think most of the jobs are in the 4 to 6 month range. Which, even if the kids and I don't go, isn't REALLY all that bad. (Worst case scenario - we don't go.) Imagine what all those military spouses have to go through! 4 months is a drop in the bucket. For the time being, nothing changes. We will still keep our house and cars. Just leave them here. After we test the waters and see how we like things, we may change stuff.

So for now... we wait.

JKFP

P.S. I really didn't intend to string you along like this. I wanted to post about it before the trip. But with LeeRoy passing - it just didn't feel right to be so excited and share it all when we had this huge hole in our hearts. So forgive me for dragging it out.

2 comments: